Friday, September 12, 2008

I feel so dirty...

I have a bad habit.

It's disgusting, low-class, filthy, degrading, cheap and makes me feel naughty.

I...like...McDonald's iced coffee - THERE! I said it! Ewwwwwwwww....

I can't help it! Starbucks changed their recipe earlier in the year to something that makes my face contort and my stomach want to climb my esophagus so as to be close enough to hit me in the brain. My company only serves hot Pete's Coffee, which isn't bad, but they have an ice machine that is WAY too small for the number of people in this office; a fact which nearly caused violent revolt this summer as the A/C was repeatedly going out and we're on the third floor in a very hot city. I was looking everywhere for drinkable iced bean and I wasn't satisfied until I let a friend of mine talk me into trying one of the cheap knockoffs.

...then something that is very rare with cheap knockoffs occurred: I found myself wondering why I ever paid for the mainstream brand name.

Well, I know why: Starbucks was better. Was. As in, past tense. Now, McDonald's has a comparatively tasty coffee drink for nearly half the price. And since I'm embarrassed to go anywhere near a pair of Golden Arches, I find myself less motivated to go get it and spending less money in total anyway, so it works out.

That being said, I am boycotting the McDonald's drive through on one gripe alone: they have actually managed to become so gigantic in economic and cultural status that they can afford to be so stupendously pretentious as to have a sign in FRONT of their drive through - BEFORE THE MENU, MIND YOU - that says, "Please have your order ready".

I'm sorry, what?

What does it mean when a company can become so large and so culturally pervasive that they can (1) order their patrons about and (2) assume that their menu is so vital to our everyday existence that we know what it is when we awake in the morning and we won't need a brief review of it before ordering lunch because it's all we've thought about while slaving away at our clown-less jobs?!? It means that we need to honestly evaluate the venues we patronize with a morally and principally responsible eye!

...*sip*...shudder...ahhhhhhhh, tasty...Thank heaven for the Ronald McDonald Foundation, eh?

6 comments:

Leslie said...

Are you boycotting McD's entirely? Or just the drive thru? I'm such a fan of the golden arches after a good night of drinking.

John said...

Just the drive through...on principal alone.

Unknown said...

Dude, you're such a snob.

John said...

Oh, this from the woman who once told me which flavored syrups were and were not okay to get in my mocha...

Unknown said...

I don't remember that, but it sounds like something I would have said. Emphasis on the past tense, of course. But I'm not actually referring to a higher quality of coffee, which you're not going to find at any chain anyway, but rather your connoisseurship of brand names!

Tony Gasbarro said...

I like McDonald's regular coffee. They changed their cup lids when they changed their brew a few years back, and it is, in my opinion, the best one out there (the cup lid, that is). The coffee doesn't go flying about when you hit a bump or bump your elbow while holding the cup in your hand.

The regular coffee of the day at Starbucks is still too strong, and I find myself throwing nearly half the stuff away when I can't stand it any more.

And I noticed on my recent road trip that McDonald's coffee changes once you go west past Nebraska an up into the Dakotas and Montana. The flavor is quite noticeably different.

But the coffee is good. So sez me.