Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Creativity in a can!

I’ve got this novel idea, see…no, really, I have an idea for a novel.

My wife and I have been working on getting this story going and we really think it could be big. The best part is, though, that we’re not alone in this – several other people have expressed enthusiasm for our endeavor. One of her co-workers even threatened me with bodily harm if I did not succeed in getting it published!

Now I know what you’re worried about and NO, I’m not going to be stupid enough to post the idea, even my synopsis, on my blog! What I would like to know from the very select group of readers that I have, is the following (thank you ScarletVirago for the idea of seeking feedback from the readers):

  1. What genre of books you enjoy?
  2. Which authors are your favorites?
  3. What do you look for in a story? What makes a “good” novel to you? (i.e., what makes you sacrifice sleep to see what’s in the next chapter?)
  4. What makes a bad novel to you? (i.e., what kinds of things make you want to shove the book down the toilet in order to feel that your opinion of it has been fully expressed?)

Here are my feelings:

  1. Sci-fi/fantasy (in a VERY broad sense), espionage (modern), mystery.
  2. Steven Brust, Steve Perry, Those Two Ladies that wrote the Dragonlance series (I apologize, but I cannot recall their names right now), Robert Ludlum. I give insane amounts of credit to Tolkien and Tom Clancy, though I cannot bring myself to read them (just due to writing style) they are wonderful authors with great stories.
  3. I like character-driven stories the most; I like to know what makes the character tick. I like to be challenged, by that I mean I like there to be questions put forth that I have to keep reading to find the answers to.
  4. Choppy writing will make me toss out a novel faster than a used tissue because I like elaborate sentences and vivid (though not excessive) descriptions of things.

Any feedback you folks could provide would be helpful to us in finding what may be lacking in our story.

3 comments:

Tony Gasbarro said...

1. I've found that I can't nail down a/any number of genre(s) that I like. I loved Clancy. Loved Crighton. Love Stephen King's non-horror stuff (The Green Mile, The Stand). It's easier to list what I know I don't like: Sci-fi; fantasy (e.g. LOTR); romance; vampire (except the original Stoker).

2. Oops... Clancy, Crighton, King, Grisham, and another one whose name escapes me.

3. Clever plot keeps me turning. It doesn't necessarily have to be intricate, just believable and well-paced.

Oh. And graphic depictions of raunchy sex....

4. Overly verbose, too highly intricate plot with cheap feints and dead-ends. I read Ludlum's "Bourne" trilogy and was fairly underwhelmed. Aside from the fact that they really had very little to do with the books for which they were named, it's not often that I ever feel that a movie — such as the "Bourne" films — is an improvement over a book.

If you're interested and/or have the time check out these stories I wrote years ago and posted at my blog here and here. They're strange, as I am an atheist who doesn't like science fiction, and the first one is sci-fi-ish, and the second one is a ghost story!

Unknown said...

Welllll, this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I suggested you seek feedback, but I hope it proves enlightening for you!

1. Genre: sci-fi/fantasy, biography, non-fiction history, pop-culture philosophy.
2. Fave authors: Lois McMaster Bujold, Robin McKinley, William Brohaugh, Thomas Cahill.
3. The first thing I look for in a story is an idea or characters that intrigue me. I like to read about why people do things, not just "things that happen." The next most important thing is language that flows. If it's hard to read because the language is inconsistant or forced, I'll abandon it.
4. A good novel is one that meets the criteria of #3, invests me in the characters and has a payoff at the end. Although there are (rare) exceptions, I need closure at the end of my stories.
5. A bad novel is one with either a trite story or hackneyed language. Anything unoriginal, which doesn't necessarily mean a new idea, coz really, how many of those are there? But does mean ideas and characters complex enough to rise above the been-there-done-that story line. A bad story is also one that breaks it's own rules. I hate it when the author spends the first 75% of the story telling you that rabbits NEVER come out of hats under ANY circumstances, then write themselves into a corner and pull a damn rabbit out of a hat to get themselves out.

And I'm just going to reiterate here that I really think you should write the story for yourselves first! Then worry about what makes it publish-able (not a word). There's nothing wrong with wanting feedback for your story to make sure you're on track, or that it "makes sense so far" or even just wanting some encouragement. Writers and praise are like cats and petting, and just as fickle. But getting bogged down in the opinions of outsiders before you've finished your idea is going to kill it before it ever has a chance to stand on its own. After you've lovingly nurtured and cultivated it to maturity, have poured your heart and soul into a delicate dance of words and emotion, THEN send it out to get killed by rat-bastard publishers and head-up-their-ass critics.

*cough* Not that I'd know anything about that, or be bitter about it if I did. *cough*

Leslie said...

I don't know how helpful this will be but her goes.
1. I will read anything but romance. Just go ahead and shoot me in the eyes with hot acid.
2. One of my favorite writers is Stephen King and I think I like him because of his character development.
3. Anything that keeps me turning that page and keeping me up all night.
4. One of the only books that I've had an actual physical reaction to was 1984. I finished that and literally threw it across the room. I get where he was coming from with the ending, but I was so disappointed.
My rule of thumb is to always give a book at least to page 100. If you are still not into it...put it down. I have yet to have to do that. Good luck with your writing.