Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The duality of what we wish for can be so cruel

Now here is something as simultaneously as amazing as it is frightening- they have officially created the world's coolest game controller, and it fits on your head! That's right, a headgear device that reads the electromagnetic shifts in your brain pattern in order to recognize up to 30 different thought patterns...and counting.

As a gamer, I am drooling in anticipation of the unbelievably immersing game experiences that this could lead to. This could lead to diving into virtual worlds where more detail than ever is possible, where an unprecedented level of control would be a barrier that is regularly shattered! And the military aspects? This could lead to one-man tanks by turning over control of the tracks to the tanker's innate sense of motion, and the weapon system to his eye movement, effectively creating mecha! These are things I could have only dreamed of while I was inside the steel monsters. Never scoff at the nerds, they are the ones who shape the future.

However, as a realist I am wetting myself at the potential dangers of this. Anyone ever heard of "force-feedback" joysticks? They were all the gaming rage 15 or so years ago because they made that flight simulator more realistic. Well, if this technical miracle can read my thoughts by contact now, then how long is it until it's reading my thoughts from a distance? And then how long until these mind-reading mechanical marvels are capable of force-feedback, or just force-feeding?!? See Appleseed: Ex Machina for a good example of the danger this could cause.

I suppose until there is an army of hypnotized video-game addicts, we don't have to worry. After all, this technology can't possibly advance that quickly...

3 comments:

NucMEd is Hot said...

I can barely play my Wii, what the hell am I going to do with some piece of head gear that is reading my mind. All of the sudden I'm really glad my kids aren't really into video games!

Unknown said...

I take comfort in the fact that people used to say the same kind of stuff about telephones and television. Not because those things are harmless, but because they're here anyway. Can't stop the progress.

Tony Gasbarro said...

Yeah, but when you harnel....

When you are unabmela....

When you can't finfing....

Sorry, I'm distracted by the invitation to have sex with Leslie....